Maharashtra PSC Engineering Services Exam Syllabus 2022 PDF
MPSC Engineering Services Exam Syllabus and Exam Pattern are available now. Dear candidates who applied for the MPSC Engineering Services Exam Jobs have started their Exam preparation for the Written Test which is going to organize by the Maharashtra Public Service Commission MPSC. All those applicants can check the MPSC Engineering Services Exam Syllabus and Exam Pattern and can download it. Here, we are providing the Maharashtra Engineering Services Exam Previous papers along with solutions. Here we also provided MPSC ESE Syllabus and Exam pattern 2022. So before going to begin the preparation, once check the Provided MPSC Engineering Services Exam Syllabus.
MPSC Engineering Services Syllabus 2022 PDF (Prelims & Mains) Group A & B Exam Pattern
|Organization Name||Maharashtra Public Service Commission (MPSC)|
|Post Name||Group A and Group B (Assistant Executive Engineer, Assistant Engineer, Sub-Divisional Water Conservation Officer, Water Conservation Officer)|
MPSC ESE Exam Pattern 2022 @ mpsc.gov.in
Civil Group A & B:
|Subject||Code||Channel||Status||Question Number and Qualities||Duration||Question Paper Form|
|018||English||B.E (Civil)||100/200||2||Objective Multiple Choice|
|019||English||B.E (Civil)||100/200||2||Objective Multiple Choice|
Mechanical Group A & B:
|Subject||Code||Question Number and Qualities||Status||Channel||Duration||Question Paper Form|
|963||100/200||NS.E(Mechanical)||English||2||Objective Multiple Choice|
|964||100/200||NS.E(Mechanical)||English||2||Objective Multiple Choice|
Electrical Group A & B:
|Subject||Code||Channel||Status||Question Number and Qualities||Duration||Question Paper Form|
|022||English||B.E (Electricity)||100/200||2||Objective Multiple Choice|
|023||English||B.E (Electricity)||100/200||2||Objective Multiple Choice|
Engineering Services Combined (Pre):
|Question Paper No||Subject (Code No.2)||Question Number||A Quality||Status||Channel||Duration||Question Paper Form|
|Paper No.1||Marathi||10||10||Twelfth||Marathi||An Hour and a Half||Objective Multiple Choice|
|General Studies||10||10||Degree||Marathi and English|
|Engineering Aptitude Test||60||60||Degree||English|
Download MPSC Engineering Services Syllabus 2022 PDF
Maharashtra Engineering Services Syllabus: The MPSC Exam pattern helps to know the structure of Prelims and Mains examination. By this, on which topics that questions are asked and its weightage also known. Note down the subject sub-topics from Maharashtra PSC ESE Exam syllabus 2022 given down the page.
MPSC ESE Prelims Syllabus 2022
MPSC SSE Syllabus 2022 is available here. Maharashtra Public Service Commission SSE Syllabus & Exam Pattern had given here on our website for free download. Candidates who are applied for MPSC State Service Exam Recruitment have started their Exam preparation for the Written Test must download the pdf of the MPSC State Service Exam Syllabus and Exam Pattern Pdf for free download. All those applicants can check the MPSC Syllabus and can download it. Here, we are providing the MPSC State Service Exam Previous papers along with solutions. Click the below links to download the MPSC State Service Exam Previous Papers, Syllabus, and Exam Pattern. Get MPSC Syllabus 2022 and Exam Pattern pdf for free download.
Civil Group A & B:
Paper – I:
- Building Construction & Materials: Properties of wet and hardened concrete, tests on concrete, factors affecting strength of concrete, water-cement ratio, aggregate-cement ratio, mix design, additives, design of form work, types of formwork. Stones, bricks, cements, lime, mortar, timber, plastic, concrete, steel, paints and varnishes. Principles of building planning and design, integrated approach, building byelaws, building services such as vertical transportation, water supply sanitation, thermal ventilation, lighting, acoustics, fire protection, electrical fittings. Foundations, stones, brick and block masonry, steel and reinforced cement concrete structures, floors, doors and windows, roofs, finishing works, water proofing.
- Strength of materials: Stresses, strains, principal stresses, bending moments, shear forces and torsion theory, bending theory of beam, deflection of beam, theories of buckling of columns.
- Theory of structures: Analysis of beams, frames and trusses, slope deflection method,
moment distribution method.
- Structural analysis: Analysis of arches and suspension cables, influence lines, stiffness and flexibility matrix methods.
- Steel structures: Design of bolted and welded connections, columns, footings, trusses, steel beams, plate girders.
- Design of reinforced concrete structures (Working stress and limit state): Design of slab,
beams, columns, footing. retaining walls, tanks, building frames, staircases.
- Pre-stressed Concrete: Principles of pre-stressing, materials used and their properties,
permissible stresses as per I.S. codes, systems of pre-stressing, losses in pre-stress, design of pre-tensioned and post-tensioned beams- simply supported, rectangular and T- beams, cable profile, end block design, bridge girder.
- Construction Planning and Management: Elements of scientific management, elements of material management, safety engineering, network analysis, construction equipment, site layout, quality control.0
- Computer-aided analysis and design of structures, application of computer programming to structures. numerical methods such as i. Finding area by Simpson’s rule, trapezoidal rule; ii. Finding root of an equation by a) Newton-Raphson techniques iii. b) Bisection method iv. Solution of simultaneous equations by a) Gauss elimination method, b) GaussJordan method, c) Iteration method.
- Surveying: Classification of surveys, measurement of distances-direct and indirect methods, optical and electronic devices, prismatic compass, local attraction; plane table surveying, levelling, calculations of volumes, contours, theodolite, theodolite traversing, omitted measurements, trigonometric levelling, tacheometry, curves, photogrammetry, geodetic surveying, hydrographic surveying.
- Estimating, Costing and Valuation: Specification, estimation, costing, tenders and contracts, rate analysis, valuation
- Geo-technical Engineering: Geotechnical properties, stresses in soil, shear resistance,
compaction, consolidation and earth pressure, stability of slopes, bearing capacity, settlements, shallow and deep foundations, cofferdams, ground water control.
- Fluid Mechanics: Properties of fluids, fluid statics and buoyancy, kinematics and dynamics, flow measurement, flow in open channel, flow in closed conduits, dimensional and model analysis, losses in pipe flow, siphon, water hammer, boundary layer and control, pipe network.
- Fluid Machines: Hydraulic turbines, centrifugal pumps, reciprocating pumps, power house, classification and layout.
- Engineering Hydrology: Hydrological cycle, precipitation, evaporation, infiltration, runoff, hydrographs, reservoir planning & sediment control, floods, flood routing, ground water.
- Irrigation Engineering: Water requirement of crops, methods of irrigation, lift irrigation, water logging, dams, spillways, energy dissipation, diversion head works, canal and canal structures, cross drainage works, river training works.
- Highway Engineering: Planning of highway systems, alignment and geometric design, horizontal and vertical curves, grade separation, materials and different surfaces and maintenance, rigid and flexible pavement, traffic engineering.
- Bridge Engineering: Selection of site, types of bridges, discharge, waterway, spans, afflux, scour, standards, specifications, loads and forces, erection of superstructure, strengthening.
- Tunnelling: Open cuts, surveys, criteria for selection of size and shapes, driving in soft and hard grounds, mucking, dust control, ventilation, lighting and drainage, special methods of tunnelling.
- Environmental Engineering
a. Water Supply Engineering: Sources of supply, design of intakes, estimation of demand, water quality standards, primary and secondary treatment, maintenance of treatment units, conveyance and distribution of treated water, rural water supply.
b. Waste Water Engineering & Pollution control: Quantity, collection and conveyance and quality, disposal, design of sewer and sewerage systems, pumping, characteristics of sewage and its treatment, rural sanitation, sources and effects of air and noise pollution, monitoring, standards
c. Solid Waste Management: Sources, classification, collection and disposal
Mechanical Group A & B:
Paper – I:
Zeroth law of Thermodynamics, First law of Thermodynamics, Second law of Thermodynamics, calculation of work and heat in various processes; Second law of Thermodynamics; Thermodynamics property charts and tables, availability and irreversibility, Thermodynamic relations.
Fluid Mechanics and Turbomachinery:
Fluid definition and properties, Newton’s Law of viscosity concept of continuum, Classification of fluid, Fluid statics, manometry, buoyancy, force of submerged bodies, stability of floating bbodies, viscous flow of incompressible fluid, boundary layer, elementary turbulent flow, flow through pipes, head losses in pipes.
Impulse and reaction principles, velocity diagrams, Pelton-wheel, Francis and Kaplan turbines.
Modes of heat transfer; one dimensional heat conduction, resistance concept and electric analogy, heat transfer through fins; unsteady heat conduction, lumped parameter system, thermal boundary layer, dimensionless parameters in free and forced convective heat transfer, heat exchanger performance, LMTD and NTU methods; radiative heat transfer, Stefan Boltzmann law.
Refrigeration and Air Conditioning.
Vapour and gas refrigeration and heat pump cycle; properties of moist air, psychrometric
chart, basic psychrometric processes.
Internal Combustion Engine
Classification of I.C. Engine, circle Analysis of IC, SI, CI engines, Super charging/ Turbocharger Performance characteristics of SI and CI, Air pollution due to IC engine and its norms, engine fuels, engine lubricants, engine cooling, Introduction to CNG, LPG, wankle engines etc., Recent development in IC engine.
Power Plant Engineering
Thermal Power Plant- Analysis of steam cycle – Carnot, Rankine, Reheat cycle and Regenerative cycle. Layout of Power Plant, layout of pulverized coal burners, fluidized bed combustion, coal handling system, ash handling system. Forced draught and induced draught fans, boiler feed pumps, super heater regenerators, condensers, boilers, de-aerators and cooling towers.
Hydro power plant – Rainfall, run off and its measurement hydrographs, flow duration curve, reservoir storage capacity, classification of plants – run off river plant, storage river plant, pump storage plant, layout of hydroelectric power plant.
Nuclear Power Plant – Introduction of Nuclear Engineering, fission, fusion, nuclear materials, thermal fusion reactor and power plant – PWR, BWR, liquid metal fast breeder, reactors, reactor control, introduction to plasma technology.
Diesel and gas turbine power plant – General layout, advantage and disadvantage component, performance of gas turbine power plant, combine heat power generation.
Renewable Energy Sources
Solar Energy – Solar concentrators and tracking, Dish and Parabolic trough concentrating generating systems, Central tower solar power plants; Solar Ponds. Basic principle of power generation in a PV cell; Band gap and efficiency of PV cells, solar cells, characteristics,
manufacturing methods of mono and poly-crystalline cells; Amorphous silicon thin film cells.
Wind Energy – Basic component of WEC, Type of wind turbine – HAWT, VAWT, Performance parameters of wind turbine, Power in wind, Wind electric generators, wind characteristics and site selection; wind farms for bulk power supply to grid.
Paper – II:
Strength of Materials
Stress and Strain, Elastic Constants: Poission’s Ratio, Modulus of elasticity, Modulus of rigidity, Bulk modulus, Shear Force and Bending Moment diagram, Deflection of Beams, Thin Cylindrical and Spherical Shells, Strain Energy, Torsion.
Theory of Machines and Vibration
Kinematics – Structure, Machine, Link and its types, Kinematics pairs, Kinematic chain and mechanism, Grubler’s criteria, Inversions of kinematics chains, inversions of-four bar chain, single slider crank chain and double slider crank chain. Displacement, Velocity and acceleration analysis of plane mechanisms; dynamic analysis of linkages; cams; gears and gear trains; flywheels and governors; balancing of reciprocating and rotating masses; gyroscope. Free and forced vibration of single degree of freedom systems, effect of damping , vibration isolation, resonance critical speeds of shafts.
Design of Machine Elements
Design consideration in castings & forgings, theories of failure, Design for static loadings, Design against fluctuating loads, Design of shafts, Design of springs, Design of belts.
Strain Hardening, Constitution of Alloys, Iron-Carbon Equilibrium Diagram, Heat Treatment of Steels, Cast Irons, Introduction to International Standards/Codes, Non Ferrous Metals and Alloys, Fatigue Failure, Creep, Alloy Steels, Strengthening mechanism, Powder Metallurgy.
Production Process, Planning and Control
Casting, Forming and Joining Processes – Non Destructive Techniques, Mechanics of machining; basic machine tools; single and multi-point cutting tools, tool geometry and materials, tool life and wear; economics of machining; principles of non-traditional machining processes; principles of work holding, design of jigs and fixtures. Forecasting models, aggregate production planning, scheduling, materials requirement
Limits, Fits and tolerances; linear and angular measurements; comparators; gauge design; interferometry; form and finish measurements; alignment and testing methods; tolerances analysis in manufacturing and assembly
Electrical Group A & B:
Paper – I
- Work, Power and Energy, Resistance, capacitance and inductance, DC circuits, KCL, KVL, Network theorems, fundamentals, RL, RC and RLC circuits, Steady state and transient responses. Series and parallel AC circuits, Three phase circuits, Power calculation in balanced and unbalanced circuits, Linear and non linear loads.
- Basics of electromagnetic and electro static, series and parallel magnetic circuits, energy stored in fields, types, construction, operation of single and three phase transformers, equivalent circuit and phasor, diagrams, OC and SC tests, regulation and efficiency calculation, parallel operation, field tests before commissioning.
- Fundamentals of energy conversion, Construction and theory of DC machine, DC generator characteristics, Starting, braking and speed control of DC motors, Application of DC machines.
- Principle, types, performance characteristics, starting and speed control of single phase and three phase induction motors, Equivalent circuits, phasor diagrams, applications. VFD for induction motors. Energy saving opportunities in using VFD.
- Principle, types of synchronous motors, performance characteristics, starting and speed control of single phase and three phase synchronous motors, Equivalent circuits, phasor diagrams, applications. VFD for synchronous motors.
- Analog and Digital electronics fundamentals, devices and characteristics, amplifier and oscillator circuits, Operational amplifier, Gates, flip-flops, Combinational and sequential circuits, ADC and DACs.
- Sensors and transducers, Performance characteristics of measuring instruments, instrument transformers, measurement of physical parameters such as pressure, force, temperature, flow, vibration, torque, etc. Principles of feedback, transfer function, block diagram, steady state error, Steady state and transient specifications, Bode plot, Nyquist plot and Root locus, Relative and absolute Stability considerations.
- Power Devices- Types, Characteristics of various power electronic devices, Triggering and protection circuits, Controlled and uncontrolled rectification, DC to DC converters, DC to AC conversion, modulation techniques, SPWM. Fundamentals of electric drives, 4 quadrant operation, theory and analysis of DC drives, converter and chopper fed DC drives, Voltage, frequency and V/F controlled drives, slip power recovery schemes, fundamentals of wind power generation and grid interface.
- Power generation in India and Maharashtra, Renewable Generation, Various types of power plant, major equipment in power plants, Major issues with wind and solar power generation and grid interface. Steady state performance of overhead transmission lines and cables, per unit quantities, Bus admittance and impedance matrices, symmetrical components.
- Calculation of sag and tension in transmission of lines, Analysis symmetrical and unsymmetrical faults, principle of active and reactive power transfer and distribution. Load flow studies, steady state and transient stability, voltage stability, voltage control, economic load dispatch, load frequency control in power systems.
Paper – II:
- Principle of circuit breaking, arc extinction and arc interruption for and DC breaker, Various types of circuit breakers and their applications, Ratings of breakers, isolators and major HV switchgear.
- Principle of over current, earth fault, differential, and distance protection. Concepts of solid state and numeric relays. Protection of generator, transformer, transmission lines, substation, busbar, induction motors. Various LT switchgear devices such as MCCB, ELCB.
- Specification of impulse wave, multistage impulse generator, insulation coordination, Routine and type tests for cables and transformers, Lightning protection, Early emission arrestors. Power quality issues, Reactive and harmonic compensation, FT devices and their applications, Passive and Active filters, HVDC transmission.
- Energy scenario in India, Energy policies, pricing and reforms, Energy conservation Act, 2001, Electricity Act, 2003. Energy management objectives, Electricity billing, electrical load management and MD control, Tariffs, PF improvements and benefits.
- Basic terms in lighting systems and features, lamp types and their features, Recommended illumination levels for various tasks, methodology of lighting system energy efficiency study, Illumination system design for residential, commercial, industrial categories. Solar powered illumination and economics associated.
- DG set selection and installation factors, Operational features, Energy performance assessment of DG sets, Energy saving majors for DG sets, Synchronization of DGs with utility supply. Parallel operation. UPS technology, types and specifications, Performance assessment.
- Pump types and characteristics, Pump curves, Factors affecting pump performance, Efficient pumping system operation, Energy conservation in pumping systems. Fan and compressor types, Fan and compressor performance evaluation and efficient system operation, Compressor capacity assessment, Energy saving opportunities in fans and compressors.
- HVAC and refrigeration system, Types of refrigeration system, Common refrigerants and properties, Compressor type and applications, Selection of suitable refrigeration system, Factors affecting performance and energy efficiency of refrigeration plants, Energy saving opportunities.
- Underground cable and cable accessories, cable in underground structure, cable installation in conduit, cable joints, cable fault detection, over-current protection and lightning protection of underground systems, operation and maintenance of underground system. Grounding systems, Equipment, Ground fault protection, Isolated neutral grounding, Grounding for hazardous locations, substation, tower grounding.
- Substation design, bus designs, substation layout, grounding and ground grid design, substation structures, major substation equipment, auxiliary equipment, substation automation, Commissioning and start up. Industrial, residential and commercial wiring, electrical system design, design and audio and video systems, Lifts and Elevator systems, safety norms and codes. Fire fighting apparatus and systems.
Engineering Services Combined (Pre):
- History of India especially Maharashtra (1857 to 1990)
- Geography of India especially Maharashtra
- Indian Economy
- Matrices – Types of Matrices (Symmetric, Skew-symmetric, Hermitian, Skew Hermitian,
Unitary, Orthogal Matrices), properties of Matrices, Rank of a Matrix using Echelon forms, reduction to normal form, PAQ in normal form, system of homogeneous and non-homogeneous equations. Linear dependent and independent vectors.
- Partial Differentiation – Partial Differentiation; Partial derivatives of first and higher order. Total differentials, differentiation of composite and implicit functions. Euler’s theorem on homogeneous functions with two and three independent variables. Deductions from Euler’s Theorem.
- Applications of Partial Differentiation, Expansion of Functions, Maxima and Minima of function of two independent variables, Jacobian, Taylor’s Theorem and Taylor’s series, Machlaurin’s series.
- Linear Differential Equations with Constant Coefficients and Variable Coefficients of Higher Order – Linear Differential Equation with constant coefficients – complementary function, particular integrals of differential equation, Cauchy’s homogeneous linear differential equation and Legendre’s differential equation, Method of variation of parameters.
- Differentiation under Integral sign, Numerical Integration – Differentiation under Integral sign with constant limits of integration, Numerical Integration by (a) Trapezoidal (b) Simpson’s 1/3 (c) Simpson’s 3/8 rule. f. Double Integration –Change the order of integration, Evaluation of double integrals by changing the order of integration and changing to polar form. g. Triple Integration and Application of Multiple Integrals – Application of double integrals to compute Area, Mass, Volume. Application of triple integral to compute volume.
- System of Coplanar Forces – Resultant of concurrent forces, parallel forces & Non concurrent Non parallel system of forces. Moment of force about any point, Couples, Varignon’s theorem. Distributed forces in plane. Centroid and Centre of Gravity, Moment of Inertia & its theorem.
- Condition of equilibrium for concurrent forces, Parallel forces and Non concurrent Non parallel general system of forces & couples. Types of supports, loads, beams. Analysis of trusses.
- Laws of friction, Cone of friction, Equilibrium of bodies on inclined plane. Application of
problems involving wedges, ladders, screw friction.
- Kinematics of particle :- Velocity and acceleration in terms of rectangular coordinate system, Rectilinear motion. Motion along plane curved path. Tangential and Normal components of acceleration. Motion Curves (a-t, v-t, s-t curves). Projectile motion. Relative motion. Newton’s second law, work energy principle, D’Alembert’s principles, equation of dynamic equilibrium. Moment of Energy principles : Linear momentum, principle of conservation of momentum, Impact of solid bodies, direct and oblique impact, impact of solid bodies, semi elastic impact and plastic impact.
3.Elements of Civil Engineering:
A. Materials and Construction
- Use of basic materials cement, bricks, stone, natural and artificial sand, Reinforcing Steel- Mild, Tor and High Tensile Steel.
Concrete types – PCC, RCC, Pre-stressed and Precast. Introduction to smart materials. Recycling of materials.
- Substructure – Function of foundations, (Only concepts of settlement and Bearing capacity of soils). Types of shallow foundations, (only concept of friction and bearing pile).
- Superstructure – Types of loads :- DL and LL, wind loads, earthquake considerations. Types of construction – Load bearing, framed, composite. Fundamental requirements of masonary.
- Introduction to automation in construction :- Concept, need, examples related to different civil engineering projects.
B. Uses of maps and field surveys:
- Various types of maps and their uses. Principles of surveys. Modern survey method using levels, Theodolite, EDM, lasers, total stations and GPS. Introduction to digital mapping. Measuring areas from maps using digital planimeter.
- Conducting simple and differential leveling for seeking out various benchmarks, determining the elevation of different points and preparation of contour maps. Introduction to GIS Software and other surveying soft-wares with respect to their capabilities and application areas.
4. Elements of Mechanical Engineering
- Thermodynamics- Thermodynamic work, p-dV work in various process, p-V representation of various thermodynamic processes and cycles. Ideal gas equation, properties of pure substance, Statements of Ist and IInd law of thermodynamics and their applications in mechanical engineering. Carnot cycle for Heat engine, refrigerator and heat pump.
- Heat transfer – Statement and explanation of Fourier’s Law of heat conduction, Newton’s law of cooling, Stefan Boltzmann’s law. Conducting and insulation materials and their properties. Selection of heat sink and heat source.
- Power plants – Thermal, Hydro-electric, nuclear and solar wind hybrid power plants
- Machine elements : Power transmission shafts, axles, keys, bush and ball bearings, Flywheel and Governors.
- Power Transmission Devices – Types of belts and belt drives, Chain drives, type of gears, Types of couplings, friction clutch (cone and single plate), brakes (types and application only). Application of these devices.
- Mechanism : (Descriptive treatment only) Slider crank mechanism, Four bar chain mechanism, List of various inversions of four bar chain mechanism, Geneva mechanism, Ratchet and Paul mechanism.
- Materials use in Engineering and their Application Metals – Ferrous and Non-ferrous, Non
metallic materials, Material selection criteria, Design consideration, Steps in Design.
- Introduction to Manufacturing processes and Their Applications – Casting, Sheet metal forming, Sheet-metal cutting, Forging Fabrication, Metal joining processes.
- Machine Tools (Basic elements, Working principle and types of operations) Lathe Machine – Centre Lathe Drilling Machine – Study of pillar drilling machine. Introduction to NC and CNC machine, grinding machine, Power saw, Milling Machine.
5.Elements of Electrical Engineering
- D.C. circuits : Kirchhoff’s laws, ideal and practical voltage and current source, Mesh and nodal analysis (super node and super mesh excluded), Source transformation, Star-delta transformation, Superposition theorem, Thevein’s theorem, Norton’s theorem, Maximum power transfer theorem.
- A.C. Circuits : Generation of alternating voltage and current, RMS and average value, form factor, crest factor, AC through resistance, inductance and capacitance, R-L, R-C, and R-L-C series and parallel circuits, phasor diagrams, power and power factor, series and parallel resonance, Q-factor and bandwidth
- Three phase circuits : Three phase voltage and current generation, star and delta connections (balanced load only), relationship between phase and line currents and voltages, Phasor diagrams, Basic principle of wattmeter, measurement of power by two wattmeter method.
- Single phase transformer : Construction, working principle, Emf equation, ideal and practical transformer, transformer on no load and on load, phasor diagrams, equivalent circuit, O.C. and S.C. test, Efficiency.