CBSE Class 12th Business Studies Syllabus PDF. Here we Provide 12th Class Business Studies Study Material for All Subjects. CBSE Class 12th Business Studies Syllabus PDF 2023-24. Candidates can get the CBSE Class 12 Business Studies Syllabus. Get Subject Wise Business Studies Study Material and Important Questions Papers from here in PDF Format. Download the CBSE Board Class 12 Business Studies Syllabus in PDF format. This study material is helpful for slow learners to practice more and get a good score. Download Business Studies Study Material From the Below Links. CBSE Class 12 Business Studies Syllabus. Click on the below-attached PDF links to get the CBSE Class 12 Business Studies Syllabus PDF.
Contents in this Article
CBSE Class 12 Business Studies Syllabus 2023-24 PDF Highlights
|Board Name||Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE)|
|Level of the Exam||National Level Exam|
|Post Category||CBSE Business Studies Syllabus|
|Name of the Class||Class 12|
|Syllabus Status||Download Here|
Download the CBSE Class 12 Business Studies Syllabus 2022-23 PDF
CBSE Class 12 Business Studies Syllabus 2022-2023-24 Uploaded Here. Download the unit-wise Curriculum for the CBSE Class 12 Business Studies Board Exam. Here is the detailed syllabus provided below Click and Download it Now.
BUSINESS STUDIES (Code No. 054) CLASS–XI (2023-24)
Theory: 80 Marks 3 Hours
Project: 20 Marks
|Part A||Foundations of Business|
|1||Nature and Purpose of Business||18||16|
|2||Forms of Business Organisations||24|
|3||Public, Private and Global Enterprises||18||14|
|5||Emerging Modes of Business||10||10|
|6||Social Responsibility of Business and Business Ethics||12|
|Part B||Finance and Trade|
|7||Sources of Business Finance||30||20|
|Project Work (One)||30||20|
Part A: Foundation of Business
Concept includes meaning and features
Unit 1: Evolution and Fundamentals of Business
|Content||After going through this unit, the|
student/ learner would be able to:
|History of Trade and Commerce in India: Indigenous Banking System, Rise of Intermediaries, Transport, Trading Communities: Merchant Corporations, Major Trade Centres, Major Imports and Exports, Position of Indian Sub-Continent|
in the World Economy
|· To acquaint the History of Trade and Commerce in India|
Business – meaning and characteristics
|· Understand the meaning of business with special reference to economic and non-economic activities.|
· Discuss the characteristics of business.
|Business, profession and employment – Concept||· Understand the concept of business, profession and employment.|
· Differentiate between business, profession and employment.
|Objectives of business||· Appreciate the economic and social objectives of business.|
· Examine the role of profit in business.
|Classification of business activities – Industry and Commerce||· Understand the broad categories of|
business activities- industry and commerce.
|Industry-types: primary, secondary, tertiary Meaning and subgroups||· Describe the various types of industries.|
|Commerce-trade: (types-internal, external; wholesale and retail) and auxiliaries to trade; (banking, insurance, transportation, warehousing, communication, and advertising) – meaning||· Discuss the meaning of commerce, trade and auxiliaries to trade.|
· Discuss the meaning of different types of trade and auxiliaries to trade.
· Examine the role of commerce- trade and auxiliaries to trade.
|· Understand the concept of risk as a special characteristic of business.|
· Examine the nature and causes of business risks.
Unit 2: Forms of Business Organizations
|Sole Proprietorship-Concept, merits and limitations||· List the different forms of business organizations and understand their meaning.|
· Identify and explain the concept, merits and limitations of Sole
|Partnership-Concept, types, merits and limitation of partnership, registration of a partnership firm, partnership deed. Types of partners||· Identify and explain the concept, merits and limitations of a Partnership firm.|
· Understand the types of partnership on the basis of duration and on the basis of liability.
· State the need for registration of a partnership firm.
· Discuss types of partners –active, sleeping, secret, nominal and
partner by estoppel.
|Hindu Undivided Family Business: Concept||· Understand the concept of Hindu Undivided Family Business.|
|Cooperative Societies-Concept, merits, and limitations.||· Identify and explain the concept, merits and limitations of Cooperative Societies.|
· Understand the concept of consumers, producers, marketing,
farmers, credit and housing co- operatives.
|Company – Concept, merits and limitations; Types: Private, Public and One Person Company – Concept||· Identify and explain the concept, merits and limitations of private and public companies.|
· Understand the meaning of one person company.
· Distinguish between a private company and a public company.
|Formation of company – stages, important documents to be used in formation of a company||· Highlight the stages in the formation of a company.|
· Discuss the important documents used in the various stages in the
formation of a company.
|Choice of form of business organization||· Distinguish between the various forms of business organizations.|
· Explain the factors that influence
the choice of a suitable form of business organization.
Unit 3: Public, Private and Global Enterprises
|Public sector and private sector enterprises – Concept||· Develop an understanding of Public|
sector and private sector enterprises
|Forms of public sector enterprises: Departmental Undertakings, Statutory|
Corporations and Government Company
|· Identify and explain the features, merits and limitations of different|
forms of public sector enterprises
|Global Enterprises – Feature Joint venture|
Public private partnership – concept
|· Develop an understanding of global enterprises, public private partnership by studying their|
meaning and features.
Unit 4: Business Services
|Business services – meaning and types. Banking: Types of bank accounts – savings, current, recurring, fixed deposit and multiple option deposit account||· Understand the meaning and types of business services.|
· Discuss the meaning and types of Business service Banking
· Develop an understanding of difference types of bank account.
|Banking services with particular reference to Bank Draft, Bank Overdraft, Cash credit.|
E-Banking: meaning, types of digital payments
|· Develop an understanding of the different services provided by banks|
|Insurance – Principles. Types – life, health, fire and marine insurance – concept||· Recall the concept of insurance|
· Understand Utmost Good Faith, Insurable Interest, Indemnity, Contribution, Doctrine of Subrogation and Causa Proxima as principles of insurance
· Discuss the meaning of different
|types of insurance-life, health, fire, marine insurance.|
|Postal Service – Mail, Registered Post,|
Parcel, Speed Post, Courier – meaning
|· Understand the utility of different telecom services|
Unit 5: Emerging Modes of Business
|E – business: concept, scope and benefits||· Give the meaning of e-business.|
· Discuss the scope of e-business.
· Appreciate the benefits of e- business
· Distinguish e-business from traditional business.
Unit 6: Social Responsibility of Business and Business Ethics
|Concept of social responsibility||· State the concept of social responsibility.|
|Case of social responsibility||· Examine the case for social responsibility.|
|Responsibility towards owners, investors,|
consumers, employees, government and community
|· Identify the social responsibility towards different interest groups.|
|Role of business in environment protection||· Appreciate the role of business in environment protection.|
|Business Ethics – Concept and Elements||· State the concept of business ethics.|
· Describe the elements of business ethics.
Part B: Finance and Trade
Unit 7: Sources of Business Finance
|Concept of business finance||· State the meaning, nature and importance of business finance.|
|Owners’ funds- equity shares, preferences share, retained earnings||· Classify the various sources of funds into owners’ funds.|
· State the meaning of owners’ funds.
|Borrowed funds: debentures and bonds, loan from financial institution and commercial banks, public deposits, trade credit, Inter Corporate Deposits (ICD)||· State the meaning of borrowed funds.|
· Discuss the concept of debentures, bonds, loans from financial institutions and commercial banks, Trade credit and inter corporate deposits.
· Distinguish between owners’ funds and borrowed funds.
Unit 8: Small Business and Enterprises
|Entrepreneurship Development (ED): Concept, Characteristics and Need. Process of Entrepreneurship Development:|
Start-up India Scheme, ways to fund
start-up. Intellectual Property Rights and Entrepreneurship
|· Understand the concept of Entrepreneurship Development (ED), Intellectual Property Rights|
|Small scale enterprise as defined by MSMED Act 2006 (Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise Development Act)||· Understand the meaning of small business|
|Role of small business in India with special reference to rural areas||· Discuss the role of small business in India|
|Government schemes and agencies for small scale industries: National Small Industries Corporation (NSIC) and District Industrial Centre (DIC) with special reference to rural, backward areas||· Appreciate the various Government schemes and agencies for development of small scale industries. NSIC and DIC with|
special reference to rural, backward area.
Unit 9: Internal Trade
|Internal trade – meaning and types services rendered by a wholesaler and a retailer||· State the meaning and types of internal trade.|
· Appreciate the services of wholesalers and retailers.
|Types of retail-trade-Itinerant and small scale fixed shops retailers||· Explain the different types of retail trade.|
|Large scale retailers-Departmental stores, chain stores – concept||· Highlight the distinctive features of departmental stores, chain stores and mail order business.|
|GST (Goods and Services Tax): Concept and key-features||· Understand the concept of GST|
Unit 10: International Trade
|International trade: concept and benefits||· Understand the concept of international trade.|
· Describe the scope of international
trade to the nation and business firms.
|Export trade – Meaning and procedure||· State the meaning and objectives of export trade.|
· Explain the important steps involved in executing export trade.
|Import Trade – Meaning and procedure||· State the meaning and objectives|
|of import trade.|
· Discuss the important steps involved in executing import trade.
|Documents involved in International Trade; indent, letter of credit, shipping order, shipping bills, mate’s receipt (DA/DP)||· Develop an understanding of the various documents used in international trade.|
· Identify the specimen of the various documents used in international trade.
· Highlight the importance of the documents needed in connection
with international trade transactions
|World Trade Organization (WTO) meaning and objectives||· State the meaning of World Trade Organization.|
· Discuss the objectives of World
Trade Organization in promoting international trade.
Unit 11: Project Work
As per CBSE guidelines.
Suggested Question Paper Design Business Studies (Code No. 054) Class XI (2023-24)
March 2024 Examination
Marks: 80 Duration: 3 hrs.
|SN||Typology of Questions||Marks||Percentage|
|Remembering and Understanding:|
Exhibit memory of previously learned material by recalling facts, terms, basic concepts, and answers.
Demonstrate understanding of facts and ideas by organizing, comparing, translating, interpreting, giving descriptions, and stating main ideas
|Applying: Solve problems to new situations by applying acquired knowledge, facts, techniques and rules in a different way|| |
|Analysing, Evaluating and Creating:|
Examine and break information into parts by identifying motives or causes. Make inferences and find evidence to support generalizations.
Present and defend opinions by making judgments about information, validity of ideas, or quality of work based on a set of criteria.
Compile information together in a different way by combining elements in a new pattern or proposing alternative solutions.
Theory: 80 Marks 3 Hours
Project: 20 Marks
|Part A||Principles and Functions of Management|
|1.||Nature and Significance of Management||12||16|
|2||Principles of Management||14|
|Part B||Business Finance and Marketing|
|Part C||Project Work (One)||30||20|
Part A: Principles and Functions of Management Unit 1: Nature and Significance of Management
|Concept||After going through this unit, the|
student/ learner would be able to:
|Management – concept, objectives, and importance||· Understand the concept of management.|
· Explain the meaning of ‘Effectiveness and Efficiency.
· Discuss the objectives of management.
· Describe the importance of management.
|Management as Science, Art and Profession||· Examine the nature of|
management as a science, art and profession.
|Levels of Management||· Understand the role of top, middle and lower levels of management|
|Management functions-planning, organizing, staffing, directing and controlling||· Explain the functions of management|
|Coordination- concept and importance||· Discuss the concept and|
|characteristics of coordination.|
· Explain the importance of coordination.
Unit 2: Principles of Management
|Principles of Management – concept and significance||· Understand the concept of principles of management.|
· Explain the significance of management principles.
|Fayol’s principles of management||· Discuss the principles of management developed by Fayol.|
|Taylor’s Scientific management – principles and techniques||· Explain the principles and techniques of ‘Scientific Management’.|
· Compare the contributions of Fayol and Taylor.
Unit 3: Business Environment
|Business Environment- concept and importance||· Understand the concept of ‘Business Environment’.|
· Describe the importance of business environment
|Dimensions of Business Environment – Economic, Social, Technological, Political and Legal|
Demonetization – concept and features
|· Describe the various dimensions of ‘Business Environment’.|
· Understand the concept of demonetization
Unit 4: Planning
|Planning: Concept, importance and limitation||· Understand the concept of planning.|
· Describe the importance of planning.
· Understand the limitations of planning.
|Planning process||· Describe the steps in the process of planning.|
|Single use and Standing Plans. Objectives, Strategy, Policy, Procedure, Method, Rule, Budget and Programme||· Develop an understanding of single use and standing plans|
· Describe objectives, policies, strategy, procedure, method, rule,
budget and programme as types of plans.
Unit 5: Organising
|Organising: Concept and importance||· Understand the concept of organizing as a structure and as a|
· Explain the importance of organising.
|Organising Process||· Describe the steps in the process of organizing|
|Structure of organisation- functional and divisional concept.|
Formal and informal organization – concept
|· Describe functional and divisional structures of organisation.|
· Explain the advantages, disadvantages and suitability of functional and divisional structure.
· Understand the concept of formal and informal organisation.
· Discuss the advantages,
disadvantages of formal and informal organisation.
|Delegation: concept, elements and importance||· Understand the concept of delegation.|
· Describe the elements of delegation.
· Appreciate the importance of Delegation.
|Decentralization: concept and importance||· Understand the concept of decentralisation.|
· Explain the importance of decentralisation.
· Differentiate between delegation and decentralisation.
Unit 6: Staffing
|Staffing: Concept and importance of staffing||· Understand the concept of staffing.|
· Explain the importance of staffing
|Staffing as a part of Human Resource Management concept||· Understand the specialized duties and activities performed by Human|
|Staffing process||· Describe the steps in the process of staffing|
|Recruitment process||· Understand the meaning of recruitment.|
· Discuss the sources of recruitment.
· Explain the merits and demerits of
internal and external sources of recruitment.
|Selection – process||· Understand the meaning of selection.|
· Describe the steps involved in the process of selection.
|Training and Development – Concept and importance, Methods of training – on the||· Understand the concept of training and development.|
|job and off the job – vestibule training, apprenticeship training and internship training||· Appreciate the importance of training to the organisation and to the employees.|
· Discuss the meaning of induction training, vestibule training, apprenticeship training and internship training.
· Differentiate between training and development.
· Discuss on the job and off the job methods of training.
Unit 7: Directing
|Directing: Concept and importance||· Describe the concept of directing.|
· Discuss the importance of directing
|Elements of Directing||· Describe the various elements of directing|
|Motivation – concept, Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, Financial and non-financial incentives||· Understand the concept of motivation.|
· Develop an understanding of Maslow’s Hierarchy of needs.
· Discuss the various financial and non-financial incentives.
|Leadership – concept, styles – authoritative, democratic and laissez faire||· Understand the concept of leadership.|
· Understand the various styles of leadership.
|Communication – concept, formal and informal communication; barriers to effective communication, how to overcome the barriers?||· Understand the concept of communication|
· Understand the elements of the communication process.
· Discuss the concept of formal and informal communication.
· Discuss the various barriers to effective communication.
· Suggest measures to overcome barriers to communication.
Unit 8: Controlling
|Controlling – Concept and importance||· Understand the concept of controlling.|
· Explain the importance of controlling.
|Relationship between planning and controlling||· Describe the relationship between planning and controlling|
|Steps in process of control||· Discuss the steps in the process of controlling.|
Part B: Business Finance and Marketing Unit 9: Financial Management
|Financial Management: Concept, role and objectives||· Understand the concept of financial management.|
· Explain the role of financial management in an organisation.
· Discuss the objectives of financial management
|Financial decisions: investment, financing|
and dividend – Meaning and factors affecting
|· Discuss the three financial|
decisions and the factors affecting them.
|Financial Planning – concept and importance||· Describe the concept of financial planning and its objectives.|
· Explain the importance of financial planning.
|Capital Structure – concept and factors affecting capital structure||· Understand the concept of capital structure.|
· Describe the factors determining
the choice of an appropriate capital structure of a company.
|Fixed and Working Capital – Concept and factors affecting their requirements||· Understand the concept of fixed and working capital.|
· Describe the factors determining the requirements of fixed and
Unit 10: Financial Markets
|Financial Markets: Concept||· Understand the concept of financial market.|
|Money Market: Concept||· Understand the concept of money market.|
|Capital market and its types (primary and secondary)||· Discuss the concept of capital market.|
· Explain primary and secondary markets as types of capital market.
· Differentiate between capital market and money market.
· Distinguish between primary and secondary markets.
|Stock Exchange – Functions and trading procedure||· Give the meaning of a stock exchange.|
· Explain the functions of a stock exchange.
· Discuss the trading procedure in a stock exchange.
|· Give the meaning of depository services and demat account as used in the trading procedure of|
|Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) – objectives and functions||· State the objectives of SEBI.|
· Explain the functions of SEBI.
Unit 11: Marketing
|Marketing – Concept, functions and philosophies||· Understand the concept of marketing.|
· Explain the features of marketing.
· Discuss the functions of marketing.
· Explain the marketing philosophies.
|Marketing Mix – Concept and elements||· Understand the concept of marketing mix.|
· Describe the elements of marketing mix.
|Product – branding, labelling and packaging – Concept||· Understand the concept of product as an element of marketing mix.|
· Understand the concept of branding, labelling and packaging.
|Price – Concept, Factors determining price||· Understand the concept of price as an element of marketing mix.|
· Describe the factors determining price of a product.
|Physical Distribution – concept, components and channels of distribution||· Understand the concept of physical distribution.|
· Explain the components of physical distribution.
· Describe the various channels of distribution.
|Promotion – Concept and elements; Advertising, Personal Selling, Sales Promotion and Public Relations||· Understand the concept of promotion as an element of marketing mix.|
· Describe the elements of promotion mix.
· Understand the concept of advertising.
· Understand the concept of sales promotion.
· Discuss the concept of public relations.
Unit 12: Consumer Protection
|Consumer Protection: Concept and importance||· Understand the concept of consumer protection.|
· Describe the importance of
· Discuss the scope of Consumer Protection Act, 2019
|The Consumer Protection Act, 2019:|
Meaning of consumer
Rights and responsibilities of consumers Who can file a complaint?
Redressal machinery Remedies available
|· Understand the concept of a consumer according to the Consumer Protection Act, 2019.|
· Explain the consumer rights
· Understand the responsibilities of consumers
· Understand who can file a complaint and against whom?
· Discuss the legal redressal machinery under Consumer Protection Act, 2019.
· Examine the remedies available to
the consumer under Consumer Protection Act, 2019.
|Consumer awareness – Role of consumer organizations and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs)||· Describe the role of consumer organizations and NGOs in|
protecting consumers’ interests.
Unit 13: Project Work